Sunday, November 1, 2009

I should have waited (Split Green Pea Soup)

I'm not sure how we exactly got into this conversation but at one point this past June, while visiting our family in Winnipeg, Auntie Alice and I got on the conversation of boys at play. She mentioned that she used to give Matt split green peas as gravel (pea gravel! groan.) to play with his construction vehicles. She mentioned all the best things: easy clean up, no chocking hazard and if they do eat them, well, they're peas!

I kept this information in my back pocket sure that an opportune time would present itself. You know the day: the boys are "bored", getting into things they shouldn't and needing something new to entertain themselves. I had a bit of peas I had bought in bulk -- not quite enough for a pot of pea soup. I offered the peas to Carter and Logan and it was an instant hit! Quiet and industrious for so long....

(I fear that pig in the background may have been railroaded by the John Deere tractor and manure spreader. though he smiles still.)

(seafoam green carpet rocks, doesn't it?)

Logan's toes. He refuses to wear socks on any day and those peas stuck nicely to his soles. Have you heard a child with dried split green peas stuck to his soles walk on hardwood? delightful.

(Carter is building roads.)

So now: the clean up is not all that bad and Logan did eat many many peas with no ill effects. I have been finding peas in strange places though. The boys did spread them over the house very nicely. Logan had them in his diaper and not because he had eaten them.

AND! each boy put one pea up his nose. That's why I should have waited.


Slow Cooker Split Green Pea Soup

In your slow cooker combine:
  • 2 cups dried split green peas (I like to soak them overnight first)
  • 5 cups cold water
  • 3 carrots, sliced
  • 2 ribs celery, sliced
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 2 large potatoes, peeled and cubed
  • 1 tbsp dried parsley
  • 1/2 tsp dried thyme
  • 1 tsp minced garlic
  • 1/4 tsp pepper
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 2 tsp chicken boullion concentrate
  • 1 bay leaf
Cover and cook on low for 8 hours.

At the 6 or 7 hour mark I like to add 1 1/2 to 2 cups ham garlic sausage (half a ring), sliced in bite-sized pieces.

Serve with fresh bread and butter!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails