Last Christmas I started a tradition with the boys. We fill two boxes for Samaritan's Purse Operation Christmas Child -- one for each of the boys. They were quite oblivious to the event last year but I think Carter might get into it this year. It's such an easy thing to do and gives another child such joy as well as the message of God. So I'm challenging all of you: one box. a box for one boy and one girl. or one box for each of your kids like we do -- or one for each of your grandchildren. You decide.
Watch the video at Samaritan's Purse to see how your gift impacts these children.
How to Pack a Shoebox:
1. Select a shoebox: use a regular-sized shoebox or pliable plastic box. If wrapping, wrap the lid seperately. Contents are examined for safety and appropriateness before presenting to the children.
2. Boy or Girl? decide whether your gift will be for a boy or girl and the appropriate age category: 2-4, 5-9 or 10-14.
3. Fill your shoebox: a variety of items from the following categories
- School Supplies - Items such as pencils, pens, pencil crayons, note pads, and picture books
- Toys & Other Gifts - Items such as stuffed animals, small musical instruments, hair clips, toy jewelry, t-shirts, socks, and candy (loose, individually wrapped hard candy in a sealable bag)
- Hygiene Items - Please place soap in a sealable bag
- Personal Note - Include a personal not e and/or a photo in your shoe box (not inside the donation envelope)
DO NOT INCLUDE:
- Toothpaste (due to customs regulations)
- Food and any chewy, crumbly, or soft candy: Including gum (due to customs regulations)
- Used items (due to customs regulations)
- Liquids or items that could leak , melt, freeze, or break – Shampoo, creams, lip balm, bath gels, mirrors, or glass, etc. (these can damage other items in the shoe box).
- Items that can scare or harm a child – War-related toys, knives, and toy guns, etc.
4. Include a $7 donation to cover the cost of the project as well as shipping costs. Make your donation online or place a cheque or cash in an envelope inside your shoebox.
Your printable shoebox labels:drop off location and drop off your box(es) during the week of November 16 - 21.
Enjoy filling your shoeboxes and think about the child who will receive it and the joy it will bring them this Christmas season!